In The Moment: Tours for Visitors with Alzheimer’s and Dementia
Awakening Connections to Personal Experiences Through Art
In the Moment tours invite participants to look closely, think deeply, and respond verbally or with non-verbal gestures. Each visit is unique and strives to provide exciting new topics each time your group visits. Sharing and conversation are encouraged.
For returning groups, jump to Schedule a Tour.
Care partner responses:
- “It was incredibly engaging for our residents. The docent asked questions that were appropriate for every level of functioning which allowed all of our residents to feel included.”
- “Our residents enjoy and look forward to coming. They are excited to come and leave in high spirits.”
- “As a therapist and dementia care provider it was beautiful to see how everyone in your team worked with enthusiasm and love to ensure that regardless of our residents’ cognitive abilities they all felt validated, understood, and capable of contributing to the discussions taking place.”
- Group Size: Tours can accommodate up to seven participants, plus three or more care partners. For larger groups, please divide into smaller groups before the visit.
- Duration: Tours are 90 minutes, but can be shortened to accommodate your schedule.
- Scheduling: Afternoon visits are encouraged. Morning visits are possible, space permitting, with the earliest arrival time at 10:15 a.m.
- Cost: $7.50 per participant or care partner; scholarships are available for facilities with need.
- Amplification headsets
- Reproductions of art works are provided and yours to keep; each facility also receives copies to display on bulletin boards or use in follow-up conversations
Supplies are limited; please request amenities in advance of your visit.
*Museum staff are not permitted to push wheelchairs.
The museum does not provide care partner staffing. Facilities are expected to provide as many care partners as needed for the safety and guidance of residents or members of day programs. Care partners must stay with the group at all times and be attentive to the needs of the participants during the tour.
Schedule a Tour
Tours should be scheduled at least three weeks in advance to allow time for specific accommodations.
Complete the Group Visits Request Form or call the Group Visits Coordinator at 412.622.3289. You will receive confirmation and payment information by email. Final attendance numbers and payment are due one week in advance of your scheduled visit.
Questions? If you have questions or would like to observe a tour, please contact the Adult Programs Coordinator, at 412.622.3222 or email@example.com.