School Group Workshops
School groups discuss works of art and experiment with materials to support discussions in the galleries with museum educators.
|90 Minutes||2 Hours|
Admission is free for the required chaperone (1) for every 10 students. All materials are included. Program fees include day-long admission to both Carnegie Museum of Art and Carnegie Museum of Natural History.
Schools may qualify for funding to cover both admissions and transportation costs. Apply for a school group visit scholarship when reserving your group visit.
Artists’ Choices: The Creative Process
Consider a selection of objects in the galleries, experiment with a variety of materials in a sketchbook, and make observations about the impact of artists’ choices on the work’s effect and possible interpretations. This tour is ideal for the first time art museum visitor who wants to have a hands-on experience, but also is a great way to see a range of the collection with any group!
Impressionism: Exploring Color and Mark Making
The Impressionists experimented with color, techniques, and composition to capture observations of daily experiences in ways that broke with tradition and conveyed modern life. Analyze the technical innovations of Impressionists’ paintings and experiment with materials in response to their work in the galleries.
Design requires us to think about a problem and work through logical paths to its solution. Practice the design process by collaborating on design ideas in teams. Consider a wide range of objects in the museum’s collection that are designed to improve our daily lives.
Reserve Your Visit
To reserve a student group workshop, please…
1. Request your workshop at least four weeks prior to your intended visit date. Please be ready with the following information:
- Select date preferences and alternatives
- Choose a workshop topic
- Choose arrival and departure times
- Detail group size and grade level
- Detail lunchroom requests
2. You will receive confirmation and payment information by email. Final attendance numbers and payment are due one week in advance of your scheduled visit. A $15 late fee will apply to all payments received after this deadline.
3. A museum educator will contact you to finalize program content. Your prompt response is necessary.
Questions? Call the Group Visits Coordinator at 412.622.3289, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.