Women should be someone and not something.
Enjoy this guided meditation paired with Mary Cassatt’s A Portrait of the Artist’s Mother. Follow along with the audio or text below.
Step-by-Step Meditation on Stillness
- Sit in a comfortable seat.
- Look deeply at the portrait, taking note of the stillness of the figure.
- Consider what Cassatt’s mother may be thinking about as she poses in stillness. Imagine sitting for a portrait in complete stillness.
- Close your eyes and try to cultivate the same level of stillness as the figure in the print. Relax your body into a comfortable pose.
- Notice the connection of your body against the chair. Feel your feet flat against the ground. Notice where your hands are resting.
- Continue scanning your body noticing how it feels in this seated posture.
- Relax your body as you sit with ease in complete stillness.