Vincent van Gogh
Always continue walking a lot and loving nature, for that’s the real way to learn to understand art better and better. Painters understand nature and love it, and teach us to see.
Enjoy this guided meditation paired with Vincent van Gogh, Wheat Fields after the Rain (The Plain of Auvers). Follow along with the audio or text below.
Step-by-Step Meditation with Van Gogh
- Look deeply at this painting taking in the many details. Observe the short brush strokes of the grass in the foreground. Allow your eyes to follow the lines of the fields to the curves of the trees and clouds in the background. Notice how all the elements come together to create the expansiveness of the wheat field.
- Now, close your eyes and imagine you are walking in a wheat field. Maybe it is this one or a different one from your imagination or memory.
- Look down. Observe each blade of grass. Notice the shape, length, and colors of the grass.
- As you continue walking, focus your attention towards the wheat growing in the distance. Then move on to any trees and clouds that might be near your field. Are they calm and still or gently moving with a breeze?
- Breathing deeply, take in the expansiveness of the entire landscape before you.
- Continue visualizing yourself in the wheat field, as you calm the mind and cultivate love and appreciation for nature.