Thich Nhat Hanh, Vietnamese monk and poet
“Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is the only moment.”
Move your attention inward with this mindfulness meditation using Nicole Eisenman’s Prince of Swords.
Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Move with attention as you find a comfortable seat to look at this sculpture.
- Notice the pose of the figure: hunched over looking at a cell phone.
- Consider the time we spend in our daily lives “zoning out” either on our phones or in other activities. Use this time to build more mindfulness into your life.
- Close your eyes and begin by focusing on the breath.
- On your next exhale, bring a gentle smile to your face. Feel the calming effects of the breath on your body and mind.
- Continue to focus on the breath, using it as an anchor to stay in the present moment. Do this as often as you wish throughout your day to build more mindfulness into your life.
Inhale and exhale, slowly. Feel the air moving in and out of your body.
This work is on view in the Hall of Sculpture.