Focusing isn't just an optical activity, it is also a mental one.
Enjoy this guided meditation paired with Bridget Riley’s Veil. Follow along with the audio or text below.
Step-by-Step Meditation on Building Focus
- Take a few moments to observe the painting.
- Bring your focus to the black areas. Notice the varying sizes and shapes.
- Next, bring your focus to the white areas and do the same.
- Then, consider the relationships between the black and white shapes.
- Finally, focus on the entirety of the painting. Observe how the smaller shapes form the larger shapes—the circles that radiate out and the square that encompasses all the shapes.
- Close your eyes and visualize your own desired shapes. What colors did you choose? How do they relate to one another, or not?
- Breathe deeply as you focus mentally on your own imagined, shapes.