“My work attempts to address the hidden agendas and ideologies of language”
Explore your thought patterns and consider the stories you tell yourself with this meditation on thoughts inspired by Blah, Blah, Blah by Mel Bochner. Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Take a few moments to look at this work.
- What do you think are the meaning of the words in this painting: blah, blah, blah? What emotional response do you have to reading or hearing these words?
- Think about your own thought patterns. What stories do you tell yourself? What language or phrases do you repeat to yourself? How do your thoughts and self-talk influence your mental state?
- Now, close your eyes and try to let go of the self-talk.
- Bring your awareness to your breath. Feel the gentle movement of the inhale and exhale.
- As thoughts come and go, simply observe them by gently noting them. If you have a thought about the past, you can label that thought as past. If you notice a sound, label that as sound.
- Continue like this, noting and labeling each thought. Try not to add any extra judgement or self-talk.
- Continue noting each thought for as long as you like, to build focus and insight in the mind.
This work is on view in Scaife Gallery 16