Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind.”
Find a quiet place and enjoy this meditation on thoughts inspired by Seascape of beach with waves and debris on sand by Charles “Teenie” Harris. Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Take a few moments to look at the photograph.
- Focus on the waves moving in the sea. Imagine the sound of gentle waves breaking against the shore.
- Contemplate this idea of boundaries. What boundaries exist in your life?
- Close your eyes and continue to imagine the sound of waves washing against the shore.
- As thoughts enter your mind, imagine they are waves upon the seashore of the mind. Follow your thoughts as you move from one to another.
- Notice the impermanence of your thoughts. Each thought washes away, just like a wave in the sea.
- Continue to watch the ebb and flow of your thoughts as you build greater insight into your mind.