Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Nature is an endless combination and repetition of a very few laws. She hums the old well-known air through innumerable variations.”
Use the repetitiveness in Lenka Clayton’s Bean Garden by Alison Knowles (detail) as a springboard for reflection during this week’s guided meditation with certified yoga instructor Lydia Kilian
- Take a deep breath and look at this work.
- Notice the repetition of the small circles.
- Move your attention slowly around the work. Rest your awareness on any places that stick out to you and focus your attention there.
- Slow down and notice the details and variations you might otherwise overlook by the repetitiveness of the subject matter.
- Use the repetitiveness in this artwork as a meditation tool.
- Continue looking slowly at this work to calm and steady the mind.
This work is on view in Scaife Gallery 17