The artist discards all theories, both his own and those of others. He forgets everything when he is in front of his canvas.
Enjoy this guided meditation paired with Georges Rouault’s Chantez Matines, le jour renaît. (Sing Matins, a New Day is Born). Follow along with the audio or text below.
Step-By-Step Meditation with Rouault
- Stand, if you are able, in a comfortable position for this meditation in a space that allows for some gentle movement.
- Look closely at this etching and take note of the fluidity of the lines in both the sun above and the landscape below.
- Now, imagine that you are the artist about to add color to this composition. Envision the different colors you would use. Colors that would flow from one to another around this image of the sun. Allow yourself to come into a creative flow.
- Internalize this state of flow by moving the body through a half sun salutation. Inhale to bring the hands over head. Exhale and lower the hands down toward the ground. Inhale and place the hands on the calves or thighs, straightening the back. Exhale to fold forward once again. Inhale and bring the arms back up over head. Exhale to bring the hands together at the heart.
- Repeat these steps to build flow in your body and mind, for as many rounds as you like.