Rumi, 13th century Persian Poet
Listen to the sound of waves within you.
Enjoy this meditation on breathe, paired with Hokusai’s Wave by Jack Youngerman. Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Find a comfortable position to look at the sculpture.
- Bring your attention to your breath as you calmly follow the curvature of the sculpture.
- Notice how the spiraling lines create the image of a wave. Follow each line beginning with the longest, outer most line on the right working your way inward to the shortest line.
- Continue to breath calmly, through the nose if possible, as you move from line to line.
- Now, close your eyes. Keep focusing on the breath as you start to visualize the subtle rise and fall of waves within you.
- Gently restrict the back of the throat while you continue to breath in and out through the nose. You might hear a soft sound reminiscent of a wave as you breath.
- Remain focused on the sound and sensation of the breath as you visualize the gentle ebb and flow of waves within you.