Vertical and horizontal lines are the expression of two opposing forces; they exist everywhere and dominate everything; their reciprocal action constitutes ‘life.’ I recognized that the equilibrium of any particular aspect of nature rests on the equivalence of its opposites.
Enjoy this guided meditation focused on visualizing nature paired with Mondrian’s Trees. Follow along with the audio or text below.
Step-by-Step Meditation with Mondrian
- Find a comfortable seated or standing position with your feet flat on the floor.
- Observe the painting for a few moments focusing on the lines of the trees. Consider the opposing forces of the vertical lines of the trunks and the horizontal lines of the branches.
- Close your eyes and begin to visualize yourself as a tree. Feel the connection of your feet to the earth, like the roots of a tree.
- Imagine a vertical line of energy extending from your feet, up the trunk of your body, through the crown of your head, like a tree growing towards the sky.
- Breathe into your vertical body.
- Extend your arms out horizontally for a few breaths. Imagine a line of energy moving from one arm to the other, widening the body, like the branches of a tree. Release the arms back down but continue to imagine this space along the shoulders and torso.
- Breathe into your horizontal body.
- Continue to alternate between the vertical and horizontal visualizations until you feel balanced.