Akira Kurosawa, Japanese Film Director
To be an artist means never to avert one’s eyes.
Enjoy this guided meditation paired with Saitô Kiyoshi’s Red Flower. Follow along with the audio or text below.
Step-by-Step Meditation with Kiyoshi
- Sit in a comfortable position and breathe deeply.
- Focus your complete attention on the red flower. Try not to make a judgment about the image or describe it in your mind. Simply allow your eyes to roam the image, making observations along the way.
- Stay in the present moment by focusing all your attention on the single image. If your mind wanders, patiently bring it back to the single image.
- Next, focus your attention on a single object or image near you. Repeat the exercise with this new object or image, again without judgment, only observation.
- Move on to another object or image. Repeat this exercise as many times as you wish.
- Consider ways to integrate this focused looking into your daily life as you encounter objects and images.