Being black is a very important point of tension and self-discovery. To have a sense of self-acceptance we blacks have to throw off this dichotomy that has been forced on us by the white experience. For some there is a need to do this frontally and objectively. There are some who believe there is no threat. I think there is a need to live universally.
Engage with this guided meditation focused on empathy paired with Sam Gilliam’s Day Tripper. Follow along with the audio or text below.
Step-by-Step Meditation on Empathy
- Take a few moments to look at the painting noting the various colors that meld and flow in and out of one another.
- Consider the energy and feeling each color evokes within you. Do you feel excitement, anger, hope, or peace as you move from one color to the next?
- Close your eyes and begin to imagine the endless spectrum of colors in the world. Imagine each life experience as having its own color.
- Move from one imagined experience to another and notice what colors arise in your mind.
- Observe and acknowledge any sensations in the body as you imagine each experience and associated color. Do you feel tension or release in different moments?
- Now envision walking with another person in their experience. You may or may not know them. Acknowledge the sensations as you walk together sharing empathy for each other’s path.
- Breathe compassion into each breath and each shared experience.