Keren Ann, Songwriter and Composer
I believe that the beauty of repetition is something that is not explored enough yet.
Enjoy this guided meditation paired with Joan Witek’s Equivalent. Follow along with the audio or text below.
Step-by-Step Meditation with Witek
- Observe the painting, noticing the rhythm and symmetry of the black lines. Take note of different sensations in the body as your eye shifts from one to the other, from vertical to horizontal and back again.
- Focus your attention to one set of horizontal lines on either the right or left side of the painting. Start at the top or bottom of the set. Breathe deeply as you begin to count the lines one by one.
- Next, focus on one row of vertical black lines. Remain focused on the lines as you calmly count one line at a time starting from either left or right.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 using different sets of lines.
- Close your eyes. Continue using counting as a tool for meditation, starting at 1 and counting to 10. Once you reach 10, return to 1 and continue the counting. Visualize the lines from the painting or your own set of repetitive lines if you like.
- If your mind becomes distracted, patiently return to 1 and begin counting again. Continue like this for as many repetitions as you wish.