“Appreciate the moment.”
Find a quiet place and enjoy this Counting Meditation inspired by Measured Time a clock and kitchen timer by designer Isamu Noguchi. Don’t forget to adjust your own clocks for Day Light Saving Times.
Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Take a few moments to slow down and look at this work.
- Move your attention around the numbers on the face of the clock.
- Consider how many times you look at a clock throughout the day. How you can bring more mindfulness to this daily activity?
- Now, close your eyes and begin following the breath.
- Count from 1 to 12, like a clock, as you continue to follow the breath. On each inhale imagine the breath is like the ticking of a clock. On each exhale count up, starting at 1.
- Inhale. Exhale 2. Inhale. Exhale 3. Continue in this way until you reach 12. Then, begin again.
- If your mind wanders, acknowledge the thought without any judgement, and begin counting again from 1.
- Continue like this, using the counting as a tool to stay in the present moment.