“Because I have an active and obsessive eye‚ I’m interested in finding as much contentment as I possibly can. In my work I create problems and then solve them in order to feel.”
Find a quiet place and enjoy this meditation on color, using Untitled (Red Butterfly Over Green by Mark Grotjahn as inspiration. Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Find a comfortable position to view this painting in its entirety.
- Take notice of the overall use of the color red. What emotion emerges for you as you view this work? Breathe deeply and allow yourself to feel this emotion fully.
- Focus on the subtle differences among the various shades of red. Do the different shades evoke different emotions?
- Continue to contemplate this connection of color and emotion as you look at the painting for a few more deep breaths.
- Close your eyes and take a moment to connect with the breath. Then, start to focus on any emotions you might be feeling. What would that emotion look like as a color?
- Visualize different colors as you move your awareness from one emotion to the next.
- Continue like this for as a long as you wish in order to build greater awareness of your inner, emotional landscape.
This work is on view in Scaife Gallery 16