John Updike, American Novelist
What art offers is space–a certain breathing room for the spirit.
Enjoy this guided breathing meditation paired with Shell and Lotus Shaped Mancerina. Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Take a few moments to look at this work in porcelain.
- Bring your attention to the scalloped edge. Slowly move your gaze along the entirety of the edge.
- Shift your attention to the innermost white bowl shape. Follow the edge stopping at each point until you reach the point where you began.
- Now bring your attention to the alternating red and white strips of color.
- Inhale beginning with the smallest area of white at either the left or right lower portion of the shape, then exhale on the next strip of red. Continue to coordinate your breath with the alternating colors as you move your gaze around the bowl.
- Move around the entire shape for as long as you like as you sync breath and thought to calm the mind.