“Painting has to get back to its original goal, examining the inner lives of human beings.”
Take a moment and reflect on your physical being with a body scan meditation inspired by The Full-Length Mirror by Pierre Bonnard, on view at the museum in Scaife Gallery 8.
Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Take a few moments to look at this painting.
- Consider the subject matter of this work: a nude figure looking into a mirror. By capturing this ordinary moment, the artist is encouraging the viewer to examine human life in a moment that might otherwise be overlooked. Mindfulness, like art, can encourage us to be more present in moments such as these.
- Close your eyes and bring your awareness to your own body.
- Scan your body from head to toe and notice the different sensations you feel.
- Breathe deeply and continue to scan the body. The goal is not to change anything—simply examine.
- Use this body scan meditation at any time throughout your day for self-examination and to connect with the present moment.
This work is on view in Scaife Gallery 8.