Activity: This is Me
- Grades: All Ages
- Subjects: Art Activities
Jonathan Borofsky painted his selfie, which is also called a self-portrait. A selfie is one way to share who you are and what you like. A message may include words or symbols. In this art activity, you’ll write a message describing who you are and the things you like.
Jonathan Borofsky, a graduate of Carnegie Mellon University, is known as a printmaker and sculptor. Borofsky documents his dreams and incorporates the words and images in his artwork. The Self-Portrait at 2,707,902 includes symbols which guide the viewer (you and me) to discover meaning in the artwork. What do you discover about Borofsky from his self-portrait? What will you share in the message about you?
- List all the things you see in Borofsky’s painting. Can you see connections among them?
- What do they suggest to you is on the artist’s mind?
- Can you write a message that might come from the artist?
- What are three things that you like or are on your mind right now personality.
Materials Needed: Paper and something to write with (pen, pencil, etc.)
- On a blank sheet of paper write your name (you are the artist)!
- Write a message about the things you like. Your message may include words, sentences, or pictures.
- How do these elements come together to say something about you?