Date with a Docent
THURSDAY ■ 6:00, 6:30, AND 7:00 PM | SATURDAY ■ 10:30 AM
Carnegie Museum of Art visitors can experience the museum’s vast art collection and distinct architecture in a whole new way by booking a Date with a Docent on Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings. Led by one of the museum’s esteemed docents, these one-on-one, and small-group personalized mini-tours offer visitors an in-depth look at a specific area of the museum’s collection, exhibitions, or architecture. Tours are free with the price of museum admission, which is half-off between 3:00 and 8:00 p.m. on Thursday evenings.
Please register for your Date with a Docent no less than 48 hours in advance. Tours are 30 minutes long and will run every Thursday at 6:00 pm, 6:30 pm, and 7:00 p.m., ET as well as Saturday at 10:30 a.m. ET.
Each personalized tour focuses on one of the following topics:
- Sharif Bey: Excavations: For artist and educator Sharif Bey (b. 1974), curiosity and critical inquiry are paramount. This Date explores Bey’s take on functional and ritual objects, materiality, and the power and awesomeness of nature. Engage with multiple perspectives and truths as you reflect on these artworks and formulate your own responses alongside a Carnegie Museum of Art Docent, just as the artists invites you to!
- Creative Pittsburgh: The museum celebrates the Pittsburgh region as a hub of skilled artists and makers. Since its inception in 1895, the museum has collected works made in, about, and for Pittsburgh. Take a closer look at how the Steel City has inspired artists across generations.
- Extraordinary Ordinary Things: Humans have made functional objects since prehistoric times: furnishings to sit or lay upon, vessels to store or drink water, devices to illuminate the darkness or mark the passage of time. This mini-tour highlights the museum’s recently reinstalled Ailsa Mellon Bruce Galleries, spanning some of the most significant design developments of the past three centuries. Extraordinary Ordinary Things invites visitors to imagine themselves in the roles of problem-solvers, designers, and makers. Talk with a Docent and consider together how you view everyday objects.
- Great Spaces: Carnegie Museum of Art is an artwork in itself! This Date with a Docent explores Andrew Carnegie’s “Palace of Culture,” uncovering secrets of CMOA’s historic building while highlighting the architectural history, details, designs, and usage of the Grand Staircase, the Hall of Sculpture, and the Hall of Architecture.
- Photography: The saying “a picture is worth a thousand words” inspires this Date with a Docent! This mini-tour considers the impact of documentation and experimentation in capturing the world around us through the ever-evolving medium of photography.
- Impressionism: Are you in love with light and color? Captivated by atmospheric effects and fleeting moments? Take a scenic Date with a Docent into the fields of France or have a conversation by the lily pads. Immerse yourself in CMOA’s impressive holdings of Impressionist artwork with a unique tour of Carnegie Museum of Art’s Impressionist collection.
Make Your Date with a Docent
To schedule your Date with a Docent, simply fill out one of the reservation forms below. After completing the form, someone from our education department will be in touch with you to confirm your date. Please wait until after confirming your date to purchase timed tickets.