Rights and Reproductions
Digital images from Carnegie Museum of Art’s collection and archives may be licensed for scholarly and commercial uses. Reproduction prints may be purchased for personal use through the museum store or online from our custom prints service.
To request an image for your publication, product, or presentation, please complete the Image Request Form or send a letter to the Rights and Reproductions Manager.
See digital image fees for price details.
Image Request Details
- Licensing requests must be submitted at least eight weeks prior to the date each image images is needed, to ensure adequate processing time. Additional time may be required if an object requires new photography.
- Requests must include the name of the requester, contact information, and the intended use of each image. When applicable, requests should also include authors and publishers, print run, anticipated date of publication, requested collection image, and any requirements for the format of the photography.
- Images will not be provided to the requester until the payment of fees, if applicable, is received by CMOA. Credit cards are accepted (Visa or MasterCard only). Checks must be in US dollars and made payable to Carnegie Institute. For an additional fee, payment may be made by wire transfer.
- Although CMOA may own an artwork, the artist or their estate may be represented by an agency that specifically oversees the artist’s copyright. If an image is presumed to be under copyright or if rights are managed by Artist Rights Society (ARS), the requester must first obtain copyright clearance before CMOA may license an image for publication.
- Licensing pricing is based on one-time editions, world rights (all languages). Permissions cannot be granted in perpetuity.
Image Rights and Reproductions Contact Information
For all questions about image rights and permissions, please contact:
Rights and Reproductions, Publishing Department
Carnegie Museum of Art
4400 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-4080