Heinz Architectural Center
The museum collection has always represented architecture. The Hall of Architecture, which opened in 1907, is now one of only three architectural cast courts that are still intact globally and the only one in North America. The opening of the Heinz Architectural Center in 1993, however, inaugurated a new era of architectural interest at Carnegie Museum of Art. The Heinz Center, a gift of the Drue Heinz Foundation, makes up one of the most extensive facilities devoted to architecture in an American art museum.
The Center’s collection focuses on drawings, prints, and models, most from the 19th and 20th centuries. Information and images of many of the Center’s objects can be accessed through our online collection, reflecting the Heinz Center’s collecting program’s broad scope.
The Heinz Architectural Center, the work of Cicognani Kalla Architects, New York, is an innovative synthesis of Classicism and Modernism that alludes to the original building design of Carnegie Institute without mimicking it. The Center has its galleries to present temporary exhibitions and houses a study room and offices.